Location : c/o Docherty’s, 14 Upper Dicconson Street, Wigan WN1 2AD. [map]
Founded in August 2001 by Stewart Thompson in the canteen of the disused Bleachworks in Standish with a 2.5 barrel plant. The brewery was named after the ship that carried the Pligrim Fathers to the New World in 1620. The military captain of the Mayflower was a certain Myles Standish who had local connections.
The brewery relocated, in May 2003, to the Royal Oak in Wigan town centre and brewing recommenced in May 2004. The brewery changed hands in June 2007 and brewing was suspended for a while. The new owner, Alan Brannigan, recommenced brewing at Wellcross Farm in Upholland in June 2010. Another move in Autumn 2011 saw the brewery move to units nearby the Delph Tavern in Tontine. Brewing operations were ceased at the end of 2012 and the brewing equipment was sold to Mouselow Farm Brewery in Derbyshire.
Since then Alan continued to brew Mayflower beers on a small scale but used the facilities of other breweries, in particular at Dunscar Bridge Brewery where Alan had a spell as head brewer. Meanwhile, he and his wife Tracy concentrated on making their pub, Docherty’s, a successful local in Wigan town centre.
Whilst brewing his beers at Dunscar Bridge, Alan made the acquaintance of businessman Peter Haslam, now of Cheeky Beers craft beer shop in Bolton. They concluded that a partnership arrangement in the brewery would work to both their benefits and a brand new 5-barrel plant was commissioned and fitted in the former pub kitchen at Dochertys.
The official re-launch of Mayflower Brewery took place on 24 June 2016.