We normally run around 5 or 6 branch social trips each year. To make the trips varied and interesting, most will visit a brewery on the outward journey, a town with a good selection of real ale pubs and/or a beer festival and, time permitting, a stop at a real ale pub on the outward or return journey.
The cost of social trips can vary but will normally be in the region of £12 to £15 per person – travel cost only. Additional costs may be incurred for brewery tours, beer festival entry, etc.
In addition to chargeable social trips, there may be a small number of ‘free’ trips each year. These tend to be local pub survey trips, in particular to pubs that are difficult to reach via public transport.
Check the Branch Diary for any forthcoming social trips.
PREVIOUS SOCIAL TRIPS
- 7th October, 2017 : Broughton Festival of Beer and Hardknott Brewery
- 16th September, 2017 : Wishbone and Saltaire breweries, and pubs of Keighley and Shipley
- 8th July, 2017 : Woodfest Beer Festival, Northern Monk brewery, and pubs of Castleford/Leeds
- 20th May, 2017 : Summer Wine Brewery and pubs of Holmfirth and Huddersfield
- 22nd April, 2017 : Keighley, Skipton & Clitheroe
- 25th March, 2017 : Bowness Bay Brewery, Hawkshead Brewery for beer festival, and pubs of Windermere
- 2nd July, 2016 – Thornbridge Brewery and Peakender at Thornbridge Hall
- 4th June, 2016 – Three Valleys Beer Festival (Derbyshire)
- 21st May, 2016 – Barrow Hill Roundhouse Beer Festival and pubs of Chesterfield.
- 21st April, 2016 : CAMRA preview night at Ship Inn Beer Festival (Lathom)
- 9th April, 2016 – Lymestone Brewery and pubs of Newcastle-under-Lyme
- 14th November, 2015 : Elland Brewery and pubs of Halifax and Hebden Bridge (also beer festival)
- 24th October, 2015 : Toolmakers & Steel City Breweries and Sheffield for pubs and beer festival
- 26th September, 2015 : Stonehouse Brewery and Big Hand Brewery and Shrewsbury for pubs and beer festival
- 9th May, 2015 : Wrexham Beer Festival, Cwrw Ial Brewery and pubs of North Wales
- 24th April, 2015 : Pub survey trip to Parbold, Bispham Green, Wrightington, Appley Bridge
- 28th March, 2015 : Ossett Brewery and pubs of Wakefield
- 4th October, 2014 : Broughton Festival of Beer and Hardknott Brewery
- 3rd August, 2014 : Spitting Feathers Brewery and pubs of Chester (cancelled)
- 28th June, 2014 : Hand Drawn Monkey and Magic Rock breweries and pubs of Huddersfield
- 30th May, 2014 : Skipton Beer Festival and Saltaire Brewery Beer Club and Swan with Two Necks in Pendleton.
- 9th May, 2014 : Pub survey trip to Hindley
- 12th April, 2014 : Merlin and Red Willow breweries and pubs of Macclesfield.
- 29th March, 2014 : Titanic Brewery and pubs of Burslem and Newcastle-under-Lyme.
How to book (and the small print)
Please note that places are strictly limited on all trips which operate on a first-come, first served basis. To reserve your place on a trip, in the first instance please contact our Social Secretary, by e-mail, to ensure that space is available. If space is available, your place will be reserved but it will not be confirmed until a non-returnable deposit of £5 per person per trip has been paid. Once a trip is fully booked, a ‘waiting list’ will become operational.
Most trips will visit multiple venues and will have been timetabled in advance. As such, it is important to abide by any timings for each trip, in particular the initial departure time from Wigan. All trips will depart from Wigan Central. We will endeavour to ensure that Wigan Central is open at least 30 minutes prior to the departure of any trip to provide adequate comfort and shelter (and hot drinks).
Out of courtesy for the coach company, consumption of alcohol and/or hot food (e.g. take-aways) is not permitted on the coach at any time. There should be plenty opportunities to eat and drink throughout the day. A ‘drivers tip’ is factored into the cost of each trip.
Contact : Social Secretary via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.